We are a no nuts family..food-wise, of course. It took awhile but after much trial and error, I finally found an alternative to peanut butter that we really like as a family. In saying that, there are many alternatives and I thought I would share some of my favorites with you just in case you’re looking for a good one.
Some of these work well as “peanut butter cookies” or just a plain PB&J type sandwich too if you’d like. Perfect for school lunches!
5 Alternatives to Peanut Butter
1. Sunbutter: It’s our favorite. Yes, it does have a “sunflower seed” after taste mainly because it’s made with sunflower seeds but we are used to it now and really enjoy it.
2. Wowbutter: I personally have not tried this but, they do offer samples so I’m signing up! This is a soy based butter that is supposed to taste “just like peanut butter” and that is very interesting to me. If you’ve tried it, let me know!
3. I.M. Healthy: This is another soy nut butter alternative that many people love. Again, we’re so used to the sunflower versions that it is hard for me to use soy. Plus, my son has minor reactions to soy as a baby and that just makes me nervous today but, I know many people who love this product so it’s worth checking out.
4. Earth Balance Coconut Spread: Obviously, this is not a substitution in the real sense of the word but I have several friends who swear by this so I wanted to mention it. I’m going to work up the courage to try it and I’ll let you know what I think.
5. The Sneaky Chef No-Nut Butter: It’s made of peas. That’s right, peas. It is actually made with golden peas that deliver more of a “nut” taste plus, it’s healthy! Can’t beat that!
These are great alternatives if you’re looking for that peanut butter sandwich taste again plus, they taste great. Let me know which one you like the best!
Kim of Mo'Betta says
My son can’t have nuts either. I agree, Sunbutter is my favorite, and I like Wowbutter okay. I haven’t tried the others. My son just wants to eat Biscoff – and it’s ground up cookies, you can’t really blame him, but I wish I had never introduced it to him!
I’d eat ground up cookies everyday if I could! LOL!
We are huge SunButter fans at our house, we go through about a jar every 2 weeks. I don’t know what we would do without it!
Me too! I’ve been able to buy it in bulk on Amazon too!
We love IM Healthy the best! We’ve used the Sun butter and Wow better too. IM Healthy has chunky, and our favorite is the one that is “honey roasted” and it is a little sweeter. Also, they have a “1 net carb” that I like since I watch carb intake. We love Biscoff as well–goodness that is AWESOME! But when looking for that “peanut butter” type flavor, IM Healthy is awesome. I use it for sandwiches, making cookies and candy. Its awesome! Thanks for sharing the info….think a lot of people would really like to have the product list! 🙂
That’s great! So glad you like IM Healthy, I’ve heard great things about that!
I’m always looking for a peanut butter substitute, but unfortunately my son is allergic to soy and all legumes as well. Unfortunately I end up doing plain jelly sandwiches. Oh well, he likes it.